Match the complexes given in List-I with oxidation state and the type of complexes given in List-II
|
List-I Complex |
List-II Oxidation state and type of complex |
|
(A) $[Co(NH_3)_6]^{3+}$ |
(I) +2 and Inner orbital complex |
|
(B) $[COF_6]^{3-}$ |
(II) +2 and Outer orbital complex |
|
(C) $[NiCl_4]^{2-}$ |
(III) +3 and Outer orbital complex |
|
(D) $[Ni(CN)_4]^{2-}$ |
(IV) +3 and Inner orbital complex |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → (A) (IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(II), (D)-(I)
|
List-I Complex |
List-II Oxidation state and type of complex |
|
(A) $[Co(NH_3)_6]^{3+}$ |
(IV) +3 and Inner orbital complex |
|
(B) $[COF_6]^{3-}$ |
(III) +3 and Outer orbital complex |
|
(C) $[NiCl_4]^{2-}$ |
(II) +2 and Outer orbital complex |
|
(D) $[Ni(CN)_4]^{2-}$ |
(I) +2 and Inner orbital complex |
(A) [Co(NH₃)₆]³⁺
- Co has a +3 oxidation state (since 6 NH₃ ligands are neutral).
- NH₃ is a strong field ligand → causes low-spin (inner orbital) complex.
So, Oxidation state +3, Inner orbital complex → IV
(B) [CoF₆]³⁻
- Co must be +3 (because 6 F⁻ ligands, each −1 → total −6 charge, complex charge is −3 → Co = +3).
- F⁻ is a weak field ligand → high-spin, outer orbital complex.
So, Oxidation state +3, Outer orbital complex → III
(C) [NiCl₄]²⁻
- Ni must be +2 (Cl⁻ is −1, 4 Cl⁻ → −4, complex charge −2 → Ni = +2).
- Cl⁻ is a weak field ligand → outer orbital, high-spin complex.
So, +2, Outer orbital complex → II
(D) [Ni(CN)₄]²⁻
- Ni is +2 (CN⁻ is −1, 4 CN⁻ → −4, complex charge −2 → Ni = +2).
- CN⁻ is a strong field ligand → low-spin, inner orbital complex.
So, +2, Inner orbital complex → I