Choose the best option to convert the given assertive sentence in to exclamatory sentence:-
I wish I knew more people here
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is Option (1) → If only I knew more people here!
-
Understanding the sentence:
- The assertive sentence expresses a strong wish or longing to know more people.
- To convert it into an exclamatory sentence, we use "If only" to emphasize the wish.
-
Analyzing the options:
- Option 1: "If only I knew more people here!" → Correct. This retains the meaning of the original sentence and emphasizes the wish in an exclamatory tone.
- Option 2: "Oh! I knew more people here." → Incorrect. It suggests surprise or realization, not longing.
- Option 3: "What a pity to have known more people here!" → Incorrect. It conveys regret over a past situation, not a wish.
- Option 4: "Alas! I could have known more people here." → Incorrect. This conveys regret over a missed opportunity rather than a strong wish.