Statement I: In electrolysis, the quantity of electricity needed for depositing 1 mole of silver is different from that required for 1 mole of copper
Statement II: The molecular weight of silver and copper are different
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The answer is 2. Both Statement I and Statement II are correct and Statement II is not the correct explanation of Statement I.
Statement I is correct because the electrode potential decreases on dilution of the solution. This is because the concentration of the ions in the solution decreases, which makes it more difficult for the electrons to be transferred from the electrode to the ions.
Statement II is also correct because the effect of dilution on electrode potential depends on the type of electrode. However, Statement II is not the correct explanation of Statement I. The correct explanation of Statement I is that the electrode potential decreases on dilution because the concentration of the ions in the solution decreases.
Therefore, the correct answer is 2.