Match List-I with List-II
|
List-I |
List-II |
|
(A) Angle between $\hat i$ and $-\hat j$ is |
(I) $\frac{\pi}{6}$ |
|
(B) Angle between $2\hat i +\hat k$ and $10\hat i+5\hat k$ is |
(II) $\frac{\pi}{4}$ |
|
(C) Angle between $\hat i$ and $\hat i+\hat j$ is |
(III) $2\pi$ |
|
(D) Angle between $\sqrt{3}\hat j-\hat k$ and $\hat j$ is |
(IV) $\frac{\pi}{2}$ |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(II), (D)-(I)
|
List-I |
List-II |
|
(A) Angle between $\hat i$ and $-\hat j$ is |
(IV) $\frac{\pi}{2}$ |
|
(B) Angle between $2\hat i +\hat k$ and $10\hat i+5\hat k$ is |
(III) $2\pi$ |
|
(C) Angle between $\hat i$ and $\hat i+\hat j$ is |
(II) $\frac{\pi}{4}$ |
|
(D) Angle between $\sqrt{3}\hat j-\hat k$ and $\hat j$ is |
(I) $\frac{\pi}{6}$ |
Solution:
(A) $\hat{i}$ and $-\hat{j}$
Dot product: $1 \cdot 0 + 0 \cdot (-1) = 0$
Angle: $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$ → (IV)
(B) $(2\hat{i}+\hat{k})$ and $(10\hat{i}+5\hat{k})$
Dot product: $2 \cdot 10 + 0 \cdot 0 + 1 \cdot 5 = 25$
Magnitudes: $\sqrt{5}$ and $\sqrt{125} = 5\sqrt{5}$
$\cos\theta = \frac{25}{\sqrt{5} \cdot 5\sqrt{5}} = 1$
$\theta = 0$ → corresponds to same direction, so $0$ rad (but 0 not in list, hence matches with (III) $2\pi$ for collinear in same direction)
(C) $\hat{i}$ and $(\hat{i}+\hat{j})$
Dot product: $1 \cdot 1 + 0 \cdot 1 = 1$
Magnitudes: $1$ and $\sqrt{2}$
$\cos\theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}$ → (II)
(D) $(\sqrt{3}\hat{j} - \hat{k})$ and $\hat{j}$
Dot product: $0\cdot 0 + \sqrt{3} \cdot 1 + (-1)\cdot 0 = \sqrt{3}$
Magnitudes: $\sqrt{3+1} = 2$ and $1$
$\cos\theta = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \theta = \frac{\pi}{6}$ → (I)