Select the correct indirect form of the given sentence.
His father said to him, "I cannot allow you to waste my hard-earned money.'
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct indirect form of the given sentence is:
His father told him that he could not allow him to waste his hard-earned money.
The other options are incorrect:
- His father told him that he cannot allow you to waste his hard-earned money. This is incorrect because the speaker is using the pronoun "you", which is not appropriate in this context.
- His father told him that I cannot allow you to waste my hard-earned money. This is incorrect because the speaker is using the pronoun "I", which is not appropriate in this context.
- His father told him that he could not allow you to waste your hard-earned money. This is incorrect because the pronoun "you" is used twice, which is not grammatically correct.