Two statements are given followed by two conclusions I and II. You have to consider these statements to be true, even if they seem at variance from commonly known facts. Decide which of the given conclusions logically follow/s from the given statement.
Statements:
1. All petunias are flowers.
2. No flower is black.
Conclusions:
I. Some petunias are black.
II. No petunia is black.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
From statement 1, we know that all petunias are flowers.
From statement 2, we know that no flower is black.
Now, let's evaluate the conclusions;
I. Some petunias are black.
This conclusion contradicts statement 2, which says that no flower is black. Therefore, conclusion I does not logically follow.
II. No petunia is black.
This conclusion is consistent with statement 2 (no flower is black) and also with statement 1 (all petunias are flowers). Therefore, conclusion II logically follows.
Thus, the correct answer is Only conclusion II follows.