Fill in the blanks in the given sentences in List-I with the prepositions in List-II
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Prepositions) |
|
(A) The city has undergone massive demographic changes ____ the last twenty years. |
(I) upon |
|
(B) The erstwhile prosperous farmers have, of late, fallen ____ evil days. |
(II) over |
|
(C) The wounded animal flung itself ____ its tormentor. |
(III) at |
|
(D) The child endured days of fear ____ the thought of being sent to a hostel. |
(IV) on |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:-
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is Option (4) → (A)-(II), (B)-(IV), (C)-(I), (D)-(III
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Prepositions) |
Explanation |
|
(A) The city has undergone massive demographic changes ____ the last twenty years. |
(II) over |
"Over" is used to mean throughout the duration of a period of time. |
|
(B) The erstwhile prosperous farmers have, of late, fallen ____ evil days. |
(IV) on |
"Fallen on evil days" is an idiom meaning to experience hard times or misfortune. |
|
(C) The wounded animal flung itself ____ its tormentor. |
(I) upon |
"Fling upon" means to throw oneself forcefully at or onto something/someone. "Upon" is often used interchangeably with "on" to indicate movement to a position. |
|
(D) The child endured days of fear ____ the thought of being sent to a hostel. |
(III) at |
"Fear at" means fear caused by or in reaction to a specific thing or idea. |