Match the Idioms in List I with their appropriate meaning in List II:
|
List I |
List II |
|
A. bite and dust |
I. extremely severe law |
|
B. assume airs |
II. be defeated |
|
C. dig the grave |
III. to destroy |
|
D. Draconian Law |
IV. pretend superiority |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → A-II, B-IV, C-III, D-I
- A. Bite the dust → II. Be defeated: "Bite the dust" means to fail or be defeated, often used in the context of losing in a competition or battle.
- B. Assume airs → IV. Pretend superiority: "Assume airs" refers to behaving in a way that shows one thinks they are superior to others.
- C. Dig the grave → III. To destroy: "Dig the grave" metaphorically means to take actions that lead to one's downfall or destruction.
- D. Draconian Law → I. Extremely severe law: "Draconian Law" refers to excessively harsh and severe laws or rules.