Match LIST I with LIST II
|
LIST I |
LIST II |
|
A. \([Co(NH_3)_4Cl_2]^+\) |
I. Optical |
| B. \(cis-[Co(en)_2Cl_2]\) | II. Ionization |
| C. \([Co(NH_3)_5SO_4]Br\) | III. Coordination |
| D. \([Co(NH_3)_6][Cr(CN)_6]\) | IV. Geometrical |
Choose the correct answers from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is option 3. A-IV, B-I, C-II, D-III.
|
LIST I |
LIST II |
|
A. \([Co(NH_3)_4Cl_2]^+\) |
IV. Geometrical |
| B. \(cis-[Co(en)_2Cl_2]\) | I. Optical |
| C. \([Co(NH_3)_5SO_4]Br\) | II. Ionization |
| D. \([Co(NH_3)_6][Cr(CN)_6]\) | III. Coordination |
Optical isomerism is a type of stereoisomerism that occurs in chiral molecules. Chiral molecules are non-superimposable on their mirror images. \([Co(NH_3)_4Cl_2]^+\) is chiral because it has four different ligands arranged in a tetrahedral geometry.
Ionization isomerism is a type of isomerism that occurs when two complexes have the same formula but different ions. \(cis-[Co(en)_2Cl_2]^+\) can exist as two ionization isomers: \([Co(en)_2Cl_2]^+\) and \([ClCo(en)_2]^{2+}\).
Coordination isomerism is a type of isomerism that occurs when two complexes have the same formula and the same ligands, but the ligands are arranged differently around the central metal atom. \([Co(NH_3)_5SO_4]Br\) can exist as two coordination isomers: \([Co(NH_3)_5SO_4]Br\) and \([Co(NH_3)_4Br_2]SO_4\).
Geometrical isomerism is a type of stereoisomerism that occurs in square planar and octahedral complexes. \([Co(NH_3)_6][Cr(CN)_6]\) is octahedral and can exist as two geometrical isomers: cis and trans.