Select the most appropriate option to fill in the blank in the following sentence:-
Please do not call me between 1 to 4 pm today. I _____ a workshop during that time.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → am attending
The completed sentence is: Please do not call me between 1 to 4 pm today. I am attending a workshop during that time.
The sentence refers to a future event that is already planned and scheduled to occur during a specific, limited period (1 to 4 pm today).
-
Present Continuous Tense ("am attending"): This tense is frequently used in English to describe definite, planned, or arranged future actions, especially when a time or period is specified. It treats the scheduled event as fixed, like an item on a calendar.
-
Example: I am meeting the boss tomorrow.
-
-
Simple Future Tense ("will attend"): While grammatically correct, it often sounds less certain or more like a spontaneous decision. The Present Continuous is preferred for definite plans.
-
Future Perfect Tense ("will have attended"): This tense is used for an action that will be completed before a certain point in the future.
-
Example: I will have attended the workshop by 4:30 pm. (Doesn't fit the context of being in the middle of the workshop).
-
-
Incorrect Form ("will be attend"): This is grammatically incorrect.