Fill in the blanks in the given sentences in List-I with the appropriate prepositional phrases in List-II:-
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Preposition phrases) |
|
(A) I drive to work, but I'd never do it _____ if I could avoid it. |
(I) at once |
|
(B) You should take the dessert out of the freezer and serve it _____. |
(II) by choice |
|
(C) I thought I understood the equation but ____ I realized it was complicated. |
(III) at the very least |
|
(D) The store should give me my money back or ____ offer to exchange the shoes. |
(IV) on reflection |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:-
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → (A)-(II), (B)-(I), (C)-(IV), (D)-(III)
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Preposition phrases) |
Explanation |
|
(A) I drive to work, but I'd never do it _____ if I could avoid it. |
(II) by choice |
By choice means by deciding to do so; voluntarily. The speaker drives out of necessity, not willingness. |
|
(B) You should take the dessert out of the freezer and serve it _____. |
(I) at once |
At once means immediately; without delay. This suggests the dessert should be served right after removal from the freezer. |
|
(C) I thought I understood the equation but ____ I realized it was complicated. |
(IV) on reflection |
On reflection means after careful thought. The speaker realized the complexity after thinking about it again. |
|
(D) The store should give me my money back or ____ offer to exchange the shoes. |
(III) at the very least |
At the very least means as a minimum; if nothing else. It expresses the minimum acceptable action. |