Match List - I with List - II.
|
List – I |
List – II |
|
(A) Copper pyrites |
(I) $Cu_2O$ |
|
(B) Malachite |
(II) $Cu_2S$ |
|
(C) Cuprite |
(III) $CuCO_3.Cu(OH)_2$ |
|
(D) Copper glance |
(IV) $CuFeS_2$ |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option 3. (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(I), (D)-(II)
|
List – I |
List – II |
|
(A) Copper pyrites |
(IV) $CuFeS_2$ |
|
(B) Malachite |
(III) $CuCO_3.Cu(OH)_2$ |
|
(C) Cuprite |
(I) $Cu_2O$ |
|
(D) Copper glance |
(II) $Cu_2S$ |
Let us go over each mineral and its corresponding chemical composition in detail, so you can understand why the correct matches are chosen.
(A) Copper pyrites: (IV) $CuFeS_2$
Copper pyrites is the common name for the mineral chalcopyrite. Chalcopyrite is an important copper ore, containing both copper and iron. Its chemical formula is \(CuFeS_2\). It consists of copper (Cu), iron (Fe), and sulfur (S). Chalcopyrite is used in the extraction of copper due to its abundance.
(B) Malachite: (III) $CuCO_3.Cu(OH)_2$
Malachite is a green copper carbonate mineral. Its chemical formula is \(CuCO_3·Cu(OH)_2\), which means it is a basic copper carbonate composed of copper carbonate \((CuCO_3)\) and copper hydroxide \((Cu(OH)_2)\). Malachite is often used as a copper ore and has been historically used as a gemstone.
(C) Cuprite: (I) $Cu_2O$
Cuprite is a reddish mineral composed of copper(I) oxide \((Cu_2O)\). This mineral is an important ore for copper and often forms in the oxidation zones of copper sulfide deposits. Cuprite is known for its high copper content (88% copper by weight), making it a valuable copper ore.
(D) Copper glance: (II) $Cu_2S$
Copper glance, also known as chalcocite, is a mineral with the formula \(Cu_2S\) (copper(I) sulfide). This mineral is a major source of copper and is highly sought after because of its high copper content (about 79.85% by weight). Chalcocite forms in the supergene environments of copper deposits, where it often occurs as a secondary mineral.
Therefore, the correct matching isoption 3. (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(I), (D)-(II).