Select the most appropriate direct form of the given sentence.
The customer asked the shopkeeper how much she had to pay for the little glass table.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The most appropriate direct form of the given sentence is The customer said to the shopkeeper, "How much have I to pay for the little glass table?"
The other options are incorrect:
- The customer said to the shopkeeper, "How much she had to pay for the little glass table?" This is incorrect because the pronoun "she" should be "I."
- The customer said to the shopkeeper, "How much had I to pay for the little glass table?" This is incorrect because the tense of the reported speech should be "have" to match the speaker's current state of knowledge.
- The customer said to the shopkeeper, "How much I am to pay for the little glass table?" This is incorrect because the modal verb "am" is not used in questions.