Choose the appropriate option to convert the given exclamatory sentence into Assertive form.
If only I were young again!
A. I wish I were young again.
B. I wish I was young again.
C. I again wish to become young.
D. I was young again to wish.
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) - A only
The correct answer is: A only – I wish I were young again.
To convert an exclamatory sentence like "If only I were young again!" into an assertive sentence, you express the same idea as a wish or desire in a more direct and factual form.
Option A ("I wish I were young again") correctly uses the subjunctive mood ("were" instead of "was") for unreal or hypothetical situations, making it the best match for the exclamatory sentence.
Option B ("I wish I was young again") is incorrect because "was" is not appropriate in this hypothetical context; the correct form is "were."
Option C ("I again wish to become young") does not accurately convey the meaning of the original sentence.
Option D ("I was young again to wish") is grammatically incorrect and does not make sense.