Statement I: Hydrolysis of cane sugar is a first-order reaction
Statement II: Water is present in large excess during hydrolysis
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is option (1) → Statement I and statement II are correct and statement II is correct explanation of statement I
Analysis of Statement I
"Hydrolysis of cane sugar is a first-order reaction" (True)
The hydrolysis of cane sugar (sucrose) follows the chemical equation:
$\text{C}_{12}\text{H}_{22}\text{O}_{11} + \text{H}_2\text{O} \overset{{\text{H}^+}}{\longrightarrow} \text{C}_6\text{H}_{12}\text{O}_6 \text{ (Glucose)} + \text{C}_6\text{H}_{12}\text{O}_6 \text{ (Fructose)}$
Experimentally, the rate of this reaction depends only on the concentration of sugar, making it behave like a first-order reaction.
Analysis of Statement II
"Water is present in large excess during hydrolysis" (True)
In an aqueous solution, the concentration of water is approximately 55.5 mol/L. Compared to the sugar concentration (which is usually very small), the amount of water used up during the reaction is negligible.
Why Statement II explains Statement I
The theoretical rate law for this reaction should be:
$\text{Rate} = k'[\text{C}_{12}\text{H}_{22}\text{O}_{11}][\text{H}_2\text{O}]$
However, because water is in large excess, its concentration remains constant throughout the reaction ($[\text{H}_2\text{O}] \approx \text{constant}$). We can combine this constant value with the rate constant $k'$ to create a new constant, $k$:
$\text{Rate} = k[\text{C}_{12}\text{H}_{22}\text{O}_{11}]$
Because the rate now depends only on the first power of the concentration of cane sugar, the reaction is called Pseudo First Order.
- Fact: The reaction involves two molecules (bimolecular).
- The "Trick": Because water is so abundant, it doesn't "limit" the speed of the reaction.
- Result: It behaves as if it is first-order. Statement II provides the physical reason for this behavior.