Match List-I (biomolecule) with List-II (characteristics)
|
List-I Biomolecule |
List-II Characteristics |
|
(A) Lactose |
(I) Menstrual cycle |
|
(B) Glycine |
(II) Bleeding gums |
|
(C) Ascorbic acid |
(III) Optically inactive |
|
(D) Estradiol |
(IV) Reducing sugar |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is Option (4) → (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(II), (D)-(I)
|
List-I Biomolecule |
List-II Characteristics |
|
(A) Lactose |
(IV) Reducing sugar |
|
(B) Glycine |
(III) Optically inactive |
|
(C) Ascorbic acid |
(II) Bleeding gums |
|
(D) Estradiol |
(I) Menstrual cycle |
(A) Lactose $\rightarrow$ (IV) Reducing sugar
Lactose is a disaccharide found in milk composed of glucose and galactose. It is a reducing sugar because it has a free hemiacetal group (specifically on the glucose unit) that can act as a reducing agent in reactions like Fehling's or Benedict's test.
(B) Glycine $\rightarrow$ (III) Optically inactive
Glycine ($H_2N-CH_2-COOH$) is the simplest amino acid. Unlike all other naturally occurring $\alpha$-amino acids, glycine's central carbon is bonded to two hydrogen atoms. This means it lacks a chiral (asymmetric) center, making it optically inactive.
(C) Ascorbic acid $\rightarrow$ (II) Bleeding gums
Ascorbic acid is better known as Vitamin C. A severe deficiency of this vitamin leads to a disease called scurvy. One of the hallmark clinical symptoms of scurvy is the weakening of collagen in blood vessels and connective tissues, which results in bleeding gums.
(D) Estradiol $\rightarrow$ (I) Menstrual cycle
Estradiol is the primary and most potent form of estrogen in the human body. It plays a fundamental role in regulating the menstrual cycle, driving the development of the uterine lining (endometrium), and triggering ovulation.