Given below are two statements:
Statement (I): ASEAN was established in 1967 by five countries.
Statement (II): India, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore and Thailand were founder members of ASEAN
In the light of the above statements, choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option 3- Statement I is true but Statement II is false
Given statements:
Statement (I): ASEAN was established in 1967 by five countries. (TRUE)
Statement (II): India, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore and Thailand were founder member of ASEAN. (FALSE)
ASEAN was established in 1967 by five countries of this region — Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand — by signing the Bangkok Declaration.
The objectives of ASEAN were primarily to accelerate economic growth and through that ‘social progress and cultural development’. A secondary objective was to promote regional peace and stability based on the rule of law and the principles of the United Nations Charter.