Read the following poem and answer the question that follows :
In Those Days
In those days - they were long ago-
The snow was cold, the night was black.
I licked from my cracked lips
A snowflake, as I looked back
Through branches, the last uneasy snow.
Your shadow, there in the light, was still.
In a little the light went out.
I went on, stumbling_till at last the hill
Hid the house. And, yawning,
In bed in my room, alone,
I would look out: over the quilted
Rooftops, the clear stars shone.
How poor and miserable we were,
How seldom together!
And yet after so long one thinks:
In those days everything was better.
Which of the following is not true of 'those days'?
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is Option (4) - The rain was unprecedented
The night was dark
This is true. The poem clearly says “the night was black,” which means the night was very dark.
The snow was cold
This is true. In the first stanza, the poet says “The snow was cold,” so this matches the poem exactly.
The poet liked a snowflake from his lips
This is true. The poet says, “I licked from my cracked lips a snowflake.” So this happened in those days.
The rain was unprecedented
This is NOT true. There is no mention of rain anywhere in the poem. The poem describes snow and winter, not rain.
Therefore, the statement that is not true of “those days” is The rain was unprecedented.