Match List-I with List-II
|
List-I Compound |
List-II Use |
|
(A) Dichloromethane |
(I) in the manufacturing of propellants for aerosol cans |
|
(B) DDT |
(II) in the production of the Freon refrigerant R-22 |
|
(C) Trichloromethane |
(III) as a paint remover |
|
(D) Tetrachloromethane |
(IV) as an insecticide |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is Option (4) → (A)-(III), (B)-(IV), (C)-(II), (D)-(I)
|
List-I Compound |
List-II Use |
|
(A) Dichloromethane |
(III) as a paint remover |
|
(B) DDT |
(IV) as an insecticide |
|
(C) Trichloromethane |
(II) in the production of the Freon refrigerant R-22 |
|
(D) Tetrachloromethane |
(I) in the manufacturing of propellants for aerosol cans |
Each of these polyhalogen compounds has specific industrial and domestic applications:
- (A) Dichloromethane ($CH_2Cl_2$): Widely used as a solvent in various industries. Its most common domestic and industrial use is as a paint remover. It is also used as a propellant in aerosols and as a process solvent in the manufacture of drugs.
- (B) DDT (Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane): Originally developed during WWII to control malaria and typhus. It is a powerful insecticide, although its use has been strictly banned or restricted in many countries due to its high toxicity and environmental persistence.
- (C) Trichloromethane (Chloroform, $CHCl_3$): Historically used as an anesthetic, its primary modern industrial use is in the production of the Freon refrigerant R-22.
- (D) Tetrachloromethane (Carbon tetrachloride, $CCl_4$): Used in large quantities in the manufacturing of propellants for aerosol cans and refrigerants (like chlorofluorocarbons). It was also formerly used as a cleaning agent and fire extinguisher.