Match the statement given in List-I with statements given in List-II
|
List-I |
List-II |
|
(A) Catalysts alter the rate of reaction |
(I) cannot be fraction or zero |
|
(B) Molecularity |
(II) by lowering the activation energy |
|
(C) Second half life of a first order reaction |
(III) is the same as the first |
|
(D) e-Ea/RT |
(IV) refers to the fraction of molecules with energy equal to or greater than activation energy |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is Option (1) → (A)-(II), (B)-(I), (C)-(III), (D)-(IV)
(A) Catalysts alter the rate of reaction $\rightarrow$ (II) by lowering the activation energy
Catalysts provide an alternative reaction pathway with lower activation energy. Lower $E_a$ means more molecules can overcome the barrier at the same temperature, so the rate increases.
(B) Molecularity $\rightarrow$ (I) cannot be fraction or zero
Molecularity is the number of species colliding in an elementary step. It is always a whole number ($1, 2$, rarely $3$). It cannot be fractional or zero.
(C) Second half-life of a first order reaction $\rightarrow$ (III) is the same as the first
For first-order reactions, half-life is independent of initial concentration. Every successive half-life remains constant.
(D) $e^{-E_a / RT} \rightarrow$ (IV) fraction of molecules with energy $\geq$ activation energy
From Arrhenius equation, this exponential term represents the fraction of molecules energetic enough to react.