Choose the appropriate pair of verbs to complete the sentence:-
I did not see you at the party. If I _____ you, I surely _____ to you.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → had seen, would have spoken
This sentence is an example of a Type 3 Conditional sentence, which is used to describe a hypothetical situation in the past that cannot be changed (a regret or missed opportunity).
-
If-clause (Condition in the past): Uses the Past Perfect Tense.
-
Structure: If + Subject + had + Past Participle
-
Correct usage: If I had seen you...
-
(The Past Participle of 'see' is 'seen'.)
-
-
Main Clause (Result in the past): Uses the Perfect Conditional Tense.
-
Structure: Subject + would have + Past Participle
-
Correct usage: I surely would have spoken to you.
-
(The Past Participle of 'speak' is 'spoken'.)
-