Match the expressions given in List-I with the correct figures of speech mentioned in List-II:-
|
List-I (Expressions) |
List-II (Figures of Speech) |
|
(A) How like a winter hath my absence been from thee.' |
(I) Alliteration |
|
(B) The rain poured down the wedding guests, indifferent to their plans. |
(II) Metaphor |
|
(C) Crooks conspire with the crooked king. |
(III) Personification |
|
(D) But soft what light through yonder window breaks, it is east and Juliet is the sun. |
(IV) Simile |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:-
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(I), (D)-(II)
|
List-I (Expressions) |
List-II (Figures of Speech) |
Explanation |
|
(A) How like a winter hath my absence been from thee.' |
(IV) Simile |
A Simile is a comparison between two unlike things using the words like or as. Here, absence is compared to winter using "like." |
|
(B) The rain poured down the wedding guests, indifferent to their plans. |
(III) Personification |
Personification gives human qualities or feelings to inanimate objects or abstract ideas. Here, the non-living rain is described as being indifferent (a human emotion). |
|
(C) Crooks conspire with the crooked king. |
(I) Alliteration |
Alliteration is the repetition of the same sound or letter at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words (e.g., 'C' in Crooks, conspire, crooked). |
|
(D) But soft what light through yonder window breaks, it is east and Juliet is the sun. |
(II) Metaphor |
A Metaphor is a direct comparison between two unlike things without using "like" or "as." Here, Juliet is directly equated with the sun. |