Read the poem and answer the question below
I lost my talk
The talk you took away.
When I was a little girl
At Shubenacadie school.
You snatched it away:
I speak like you
I think like you
I create like you
The scrambled ballad, about my word.
Two ways I talk
Both ways I say,
Your way is more powerful.
So gently I offer my hand and ask,
Let me find my talk
So I can teach you about me
What does the poet suggest by the following line
'Your way is more powerful' ?
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is OPTION 2 - The authoritative culture is dominant
The poet suggests by the line "Your way is more powerful" that the authoritative culture is dominant.
This line indicates the recognition that the language and way of expression imposed by the dominant culture holds more influence and power over the speaker's original culture and identity. The poet acknowledges the disparity in power dynamics between the two cultures, emphasizing the impact of this dominance on their own expression and identity.