Match the coordination compounds given in List-I with the central metal atoms given in List-II
|
List-I Coordination compound |
List-II Central metal atom |
|
(A) blood pigment |
(I) iron |
|
(B) chlorophyll |
(II) magnesium |
|
(C) vitamin $B_{12}$ |
(III) rhodium |
|
(D) wilkinson catalyst |
(IV) cobalt |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → (A)-(I), (B)-(II), (C)-(IV), (D)-(III)
|
List-I Coordination compound |
List-II Central metal atom |
|
(A) blood pigment |
(I) iron |
|
(B) chlorophyll |
(II) magnesium |
|
(C) vitamin $B_{12}$ |
(IV) cobalt |
|
(D) wilkinson catalyst |
(III) rhodium |
(A) Blood pigment (Hemoglobin/Myoglobin) → (I) Iron:- The heme group in hemoglobin, which is responsible for oxygen transport, has an Iron (Fe) atom at its center, coordinated by a porphyrin ring.
(B) Chlorophyll → (II) Magnesium:- Chlorophyll, the green pigment essential for photosynthesis in plants, is a chlorin complex with a Magnesium (Mg) atom at its core.
(C) Vitamin $B_{12}$ (Cyanocobalamin) → (IV) Cobalt:- This vitamin is a complex known as a corrin and features a Cobalt (Co) atom in the center.
(D) Wilkinson's catalyst → (III) Rhodium:- This is a coordination complex used primarily for the homogeneous hydrogenation of alkenes. Its chemical formula is $RhCl(PPh_3)_3$ (chlorotris(triphenylphosphine)rhodium(I)), containing a Rhodium (Rh) atom as the central metal.