Match the complexes given in List-I with their properties given in List-II
|
List-I Complex |
List-II Property |
|
(A) $[FeF_6]^{3-}$ |
(I) $d^6$, high spin |
|
(B) $[CoF_6]^{3-}$ |
(II) $d^5$, high spin |
|
(C) $[Mn(CN)_6]^{3-}$ |
(III) $d^6$, low spin |
|
(D) $[Co(CN)_6]^{3-}$ |
(IV) $d^4$, low spin |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → (A)-(II), (B)-(I), (C)-(IV), (D)-(III)
|
List-I Complex |
List-II Property |
|
(A) $[FeF_6]^{3-}$ |
(II) $d^5$, high spin |
|
(B) $[CoF_6]^{3-}$ |
(I) $d^6$, high spin |
|
(C) $[Mn(CN)_6]^{3-}$ |
(IV) $d^4$, low spin |
|
(D) $[Co(CN)_6]^{3-}$ |
(III) $d^6$, low spin |
Determine oxidation states
(A) [FeF₆]³⁻
Fe + 6(–1) = –3
Fe – 6 = –3 → Fe³⁺ (d⁵)
F⁻ = weak ligand → high-spin
→ d⁵, high spin → (II)
(B) [CoF₆]³⁻
Co + 6(–1) = –3
Co – 6 = –3 → Co³⁺ (d⁶)
F⁻ = weak ligand → high-spin
→ d⁶, high spin → (I)
(C) [Mn(CN)₆]³⁻
Mn + 6(–1) = –3
Mn – 6 = –3 → Mn³⁺ (d⁴)
CN⁻ = strong ligand → low-spin
→ d⁴, low spin → (IV)
(D) [Co(CN)₆]³⁻
Co + 6(–1) = –3
Co – 6 = –3 → Co³⁺ (d⁶)
CN⁻ = strong ligand → low-spin
→ d⁶, low spin → (III)