Choose the most appropriate option which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.
She asked me if I was going to college.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) - She said to me "Are you going to college?"
-
She asked me, "Will you go to college?"
- Incorrect: This changes the tense and meaning of the original sentence, as it suggests a future action.
-
She said to me, "Are you going to college?"
- Correct: This is the direct version of the question that matches the indirect speech.
-
The sentence in the question is in indirect speech and needs to be converted to direct speech. The key points to match are:
- "She asked me" indicates a question.
- The indirect speech mentions "if I was going to college," which is the reported version of the direct question "Are you going to college?"
-
She asked to me, "Was I going to college?"
- Incorrect: The pronoun "I" is misplaced and does not match the indirect speech.
-
She said, "Am I going to college?"
- Incorrect: The pronoun "I" does not correspond to the subject "me" in the indirect speech.