Complete the sentences given in List-I with the appropriate homonyms from List-II:-
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Homonyms) |
|
(A) The wind blew so strongly that the weather ____ on the rooftop spun rapidly. |
(I) vain |
|
(B) She has a personal ____ in the success of the play. |
(II) steak |
|
(C) Her ____ efforts to fix the broken device only ended up frustrating her. |
(III) vane |
|
(D) The conversation sizzled like a ____ on the grill, heated and rich with unspoken tension. |
(IV) stake |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:-
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is Option (1) → (A)-(III), (B)-(IV), (C)-(I), (D)-(II)
|
List-I (Sentences) |
List-II (Homonyms) |
Explanation |
|
(A) The wind blew so strongly that the weather ____ on the rooftop spun rapidly. |
(III) vane |
The word vane refers to a blade or flat surface used to indicate wind direction (weather vane). |
|
(B) She has a personal ____ in the success of the play. |
(IV) stake |
The word stake refers to a financial or personal interest or involvement in an enterprise, often with a potential gain or loss. |
|
(C) Her ____ efforts to fix the broken device only ended up frustrating her. |
(I) vain |
The word vain means producing no result; futile or unsuccessful. |
|
(D) The conversation sizzled like a ____ on the grill, heated and rich with unspoken tension. |
(II) steak |
The word steak refers to a slice of meat or fish, used here in a simile for something heated and sizzling. |