The following mantra from the Rigveda, possibly included around c. 1000 BCE, holds significance in Hindu weddings, as it is traditionally chanted by the priest during the marriage ritual:
"I release her from her paternal home but not from her new abode. I firmly bind her to her husband's home, so that by the benevolence of Indra, she may be blessed with noble sons and cherish the love of her husband.
Indra, a prominent deity symbolizing valour, warfare, and rain, is invoked in this mantra. The terms 'here' and 'there' refer to the bride's father's home and her husband's home, respectively."
Which deity is invoked in the mantra from the Rigveda?
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is Option 1 - Lord Indra
Per passage:
"I release her from her paternal home but not from her new abode. I firmly bind her to her husband's home, so that by the benevolence of Indra, she may be blessed with noble sons and cherish the love of her husband.
Indra, a prominent deity symbolizing valour, warfare, and rain, is invoked in this mantra. The terms 'here' and 'there' refer to the bride's father's home and her husband's home, respectively."