Match List-I with List-II
|
List-I |
List-II |
|
(A) \(C_6H_5CHO\) |
(I) Precipitation with 2,4-DNP |
|
(B) \(CH_3C≡CH\) |
(II) Precipitation with \(AgNO_3\) (Ammonical) |
|
(C) \(HCN\) |
(III) Nucleophile |
|
(D) \(I^-\) |
(IV) Cyanohydrin formation |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is option 1. A-I, B-II, C-III, D-IV
Here is a brief explanation of each match:
(A) \(C_6H_5CHO\): \(C_6H_5CHO\) (benzaldehyde) reacts with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine (2,4-DNP) to form a yellow precipitate of 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone. This reaction is commonly used to identify carbonyl compounds.
(B) \(CH_3C≡CH\): \(CH_3C≡CH\) (propene) reacts with ammoniacal silver nitrate to form a white precipitate of silver acetylide. This reaction is known as the Tollen's test and is used to distinguish between alkenes and alkynes.
(C) \(HCN\): \(HCN\) (hydrogen cyanide) is a nucleophile. This means that it is attracted to and reacts with electropositive atoms or centers. HCN can react with a variety of organic compounds, including carbonyl compounds, to form new products.
(D) \(I^-\): \(I^-\) (iodide ion) can react with carbonyl compounds to form cyanohydrins. This reaction is known as the haloform reaction. Cyanohydrins are useful intermediates in the synthesis of a variety of organic compounds.
Therefore, the correct match is:
(A) \(C_6H_5CHO\) - Precipitation with 2,4-DNP
(B) \(CH_3C≡CH\) - Precipitation with AgNO3 (Ammonical)
(C) \(HCN\) - Nucleophile
(D) \(I^-\) - Cyanohydrin formation
The correct answer is: (3) A-I, B-II, C-IV, D-III
Here is a brief explanation of each match:
(A) \(C_6H_5CHO\): \(C_6H_5CHO\) (benzaldehyde) reacts with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine (2,4-DNP) to form a yellow precipitate of 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone. This reaction is commonly used to identify carbonyl compounds.
(B) \(CH_3C=CH\): \(CH_3C=CH\) (propene) reacts with ammoniacal silver nitrate to form a white precipitate of silver acetylide. This reaction is known as the Tollen's test and is used to distinguish between alkenes and alkynes.
(C) \(HCN\): \(HCN\) (hydrogen cyanide) is a nucleophile. This means that it is attracted to and reacts with electropositive atoms or centers. HCN can react with a variety of organic compounds, including carbonyl compounds, to form new products.
(D) \(I^-\): \(I^-\) (iodide ion) can react with carbonyl compounds to form cyanohydrins. This reaction is known as the haloform reaction. Cyanohydrins are useful intermediates in the synthesis of a variety of organic compounds.
Therefore, the correct match is:
(A) \(C_6H_5CHO\) - Precipitation with 2,4-DNP
(B) \(CH_3C=CH\) - Precipitation with AgNO3 (Ammonical)
(C) \(HCN\) - Nucleophile
(D) \(I^-\) - Cyanohydrin formation