Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
To pull someone's legs
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The most appropriate meaning of the idiom "to pull someone's legs" is to play a joke on someone.
It is used to describe someone who is teasing or kidding someone else. The idiom is thought to have originated from the idea of pulling someone's leg, which is a playful way of making them believe something that is not true.
For example, you might say "I was just pulling your leg when I said I was going to quit my job." This means that you were not serious when you said you were going to quit your job, and you were just joking with the person.
The other options are not accurate descriptions of the meaning of the idiom.
- Of a kind and sympathetic nature: This idiom is more accurately described as "to be kind and understanding."
- To use all possible methods: This idiom is more accurately described as "to do everything possible."
- Not a serious information: This idiom is more accurately described as "not to be taken seriously."