Select the correct indirect form of the given sentence.
The teacher said to me, “You have not submitted the assignment.”
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct indirect form of the given sentence is:
The teacher told me that I had not submitted the assignment.
The other options are incorrect:
- The teacher said me that I had not submitted the assignment. - This is incorrect because the pronoun "me" is in the accusative case, but it should be in the nominative case in this context.
- The teacher said to me that I have not submitted the assignment. - This is incorrect because the verb "have submitted" in the reported speech is in the present perfect tense, but the reporting verb "said" is in the past tense.
- The teacher told to me that I have not submitted that assignment. - This is incorrect because the preposition "to" is unnecessary in this context.