Assertion: Core Schemas are ways of thinking which are general in nature but which distort the reality in a negative manner.
Reasoning: The patterns of negative thoughts such as “nobody loves me”, “I am ugly”, “I am stupid” etc are called dysfunctional cognitive structures.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is option 4: Assertion (A) is false but Reasoning (R) is true.
Assertion: Core Schemas are ways of thinking which are general in nature but which distort the reality in a negative manner. This is incorrect. It is cognitive distortions (not Core Schemas) which are general in nature but which distort the reality in a negative manner. Core schemas themselves are basic belief systems (like "I am not wanted", "I am worthless"), but they are not necessarily always negative. They can be either positive or negative.
Reasoning: The patterns of negative thoughts such as “nobody loves me”, “I am ugly”, “I am stupid” etc are called dysfunctional cognitive structures. This is correct.
"Cognitive distortions are ways of thinking which are general in nature but which distort the reality in a negative manner. These patterns of thought are called dysfunctional cognitive structures. They lead to errors of cognition about the social reality."