Match the chemical conversion in List I to the appropriate reagent in List II
| List I | List II |
| A. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{ Benzene}\) | I. \(Na_2Cr_2O_7\) in presence of \(H_2SO_4\) |
| B. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow C_2H_5OC_2H_5\) | II. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(443 K\) |
| C. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{1,4-Benzoquinone}\) | III. \(Zn\) |
| D. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow CH_2=CH_2\) | IV. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(413 K\) |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is option 1. A-III, B-IV, C-I, D-II.
| List I | List II |
| A. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{ Benzene}\) | III. \(Zn\) |
| B. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow C_2H_5OC_2H_5\) | IV. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(413 K\) |
| C. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{1,4-Benzoquinone}\) | I. \(Na_2Cr_2O_7\) in presence of \(H_2SO_4\) |
| D. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow CH_2=CH_2\) | II. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(443 K\) |
Let us go through each chemical conversion and match them with their corresponding reagents:
A. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{ Benzene}\): III. \(Zn\)

This is a reduction reaction where phenol is reduced to benzene. This process involves the removal of the hydroxyl group (-OH) from phenol and converting it to a benzene ring. The reagent used for this reduction is zinc (Zn) in the presence of a suitable acid. Zinc acts as a reducing agent and helps in removing the hydroxyl group from phenol, resulting in benzene.
B. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow C_2H_5OC_2H_5\): IV. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(413 K\)

This is an example of a dehydration reaction where ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is converted to diethyl ether. This reaction involves the removal of a water molecule (dehydration) to form the ether. Sulfuric acid (\(H_2SO_4\)) acts as a dehydrating agent in this reaction. The reaction is performed at a higher temperature, typically around 413 K.
C. \(\text{Phenol } \longrightarrow \text{1,4-Benzoquinone}\): I. \(Na_2Cr_2O_7\) in presence of \(H_2SO_4\)

This conversion is an oxidation reaction where phenol is oxidized to 1,4-benzoquinone. The oxidation involves the addition of oxygen or the removal of hydrogen. Sodium dichromate (\(Na_2Cr_2O_7\)) in the presence of sulfuric acid (\(H_2SO_4\)) is used for this oxidation process. The reagent oxidizes the phenol to form 1,4-benzoquinone.
D. \(CH_3CH_2OH \longrightarrow CH_2=CH_2\): II. \(H_2SO_4\) at \(443 K\)

This conversion is a dehydration reaction where ethanol is converted to ethene (ethylene) by removing a water molecule. Sulfuric acid (\(H_2SO_4\)) is used as a catalyst in this reaction, but it needs to be heated to a higher temperature, typically around 443 K, to facilitate the removal of water and formation of ethene.
Thus, the correct option is: 1. 1. A-III, B-IV, C-I, D-II.