O YOUTH sweet comrade youth, wouldst thou be gone?
Long have we dwelt together, thou and I;
Together drunk of many an alien dawn,
And plucked the fruit of many an alien sky.
Ah, fickle friend, must I,
who yesterday Dreamed forwards to long, undimmed ecstasy,
Henceforward dream, because thou wilt not stay,
Backward to transient pleasure and to thee?
I give thee back thy false, ephemeral vow;
But, O beloved comrade, ere we part,
Upon my mournful eyelids and my brow
Kiss me who hold thine image in my heart.
What is the theme of the poem?
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → Fleeting nature of youth
The theme of the poem revolves around the transient and temporary nature of youth. The poet reflects on the passage of time and the impermanence of the experiences associated with youth. The use of terms like "false, ephemeral vow" and expressions of farewell convey the idea that youth is fleeting and does not last, making the theme centered around the transitory nature of this phase in life.