Match List I with List II
| List I | List II |
| A. \(K_2SO_4\) (aq) with \(60\%\) dissociation | I. \(i = 3.7\) |
| B. \(K_3[Fe(CN)_6]\) (aq) with \(90\%\) dissociation | II. \(i = 1.8\) |
| C. \(AlCl_3\) (aq) with \(80\%\) dissociation | III. \(i = 2.2\) |
| D. \(K_2HgI_4\) (aq) with \(40\%\) dissociation | IV. \(i = 3.4\) |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is option 4. A-III, B-I, C-IV, D-II.
| List I | List II |
| A. \(K_2SO_4\) (aq) with \(60\%\) dissociation | III. \(i = 2.2\) |
| B. \(K_3[Fe(CN)_6]\) (aq) with \(90\%\) dissociation | I. \(i = 3.7\) |
| C. \(AlCl_3\) (aq) with \(80\%\) dissociation | IV. \(i = 3.4\) |
| D. \(K_2HgI_4\) (aq) with \(40\%\) dissociation | II. \(i = 1.8\) |
A. \(K_2SO_4\) (aq) with \(60\%\) dissociation
\(K_2SO_4\) is an \(A_2B\) type of electrolyte, for which van't Hoff factor is given by \(1 + 2\alpha \)
Where,
\(\alpha = \frac{\% \, \ dissociation}{100}\)
Since the % dissociation is 60%
Thus,
\(\alpha = \frac{60}{100} = 0.60\)
So, van't Hoff factor \(= 1 + 2 × 0.60 = 2.2\)
B. \(K_3[Fe(CN)_6]\) (aq) with \(90\%\) dissociation:
\(K_3[Fe(CN)_6]\) is an \(A_3B\) type of electrolyte, for which van't Hoff factor is given by \(1 + 3\alpha \)
Where,
\(\alpha = \frac{\% \, \ dissociation}{100}\)
Since the % dissociation is 90%
Thus,
\(\alpha = \frac{90}{100} = 0.90\)
So, van't Hoff factor \(= 1 + 3 × 0.90 = 3.7\)
C. \(AlCl_3\) (aq) with \(80\%\) dissociation:
\(AlCl_3\) is an \(A_3B\) type of electrolyte, for which van't Hoff factor is given by \(1 + 3\alpha \)
Where,
\(\alpha = \frac{\% \, \ dissociation}{100}\)
Since the % dissociation is 80%
Thus,
\(\alpha = \frac{80}{100} = 0.80\)
So, van't Hoff factor \(= 1 + 3 × 0.80 = 3.4\)
D. \(K_2HgI_4\) (aq) with \(40\%\) dissociation:
\(K_2HgI_4\) is an \(A_2B\) type of electrolyte, for which van't Hoff factor is given by \(1 + 2\alpha \)
Where,
\(\alpha = \frac{\% \, \ dissociation}{100}\)
Since the % dissociation is 40%
Thus,
\(\alpha = \frac{40}{100} = 0.40\)
So, van't Hoff factor \(= 1 + 2 × 0.40 = 1.8\)