Match List I with List II
| List I | List II |
| (A) Zero order reaction | (I) \(s^{-1}\) |
| (B) First order reaction | (II) \(mol^{-2}\, \ L^2 s^{-1}\) |
| (C) Second order reaction | (III) \(mol\, \ L^{-1}s^{-1}\) |
| (D) Third order reaction | (IV) \(mol^{-1}\, \ L s^{-1}\) |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is option 2. A-III, B-I, C-IV, D-II.
| List I | List II |
| (A) Zero order reaction | (III) \(mol\, \ L^{-1}s^{-1}\) |
| (B) First order reaction | (I) \(s^{-1}\) |
| (C) Second order reaction | (IV) \(mol^{-1}\, \ L s^{-1}\) |
| (D) Third order reaction | (II) \(mol^{-2}\, \ L^2 s^{-1}\) |
For a general reaction
\(aA + bB \longrightarrow cC + dD\)
Rate \(= [A]^x[B]^y\)
Where, \(x + y = n = \text{order of the reaction}\)
\(k = \frac{Rate}{[A]^x[B]^y}\)
\(k = \frac{concentration}{time} × \frac{1}{(concentration)^n}\)
\(or, \, \ k = (concentration)^{1 - n}time^{-1}\)
Taking SI units of concentration, \(mol\, \ L^{-1}\) and time, \(s\), the units of \(k\) for different reaction orders are
| Order of Reaction | Units of Rate constant (k) |
| Zero \((n = 0)\) | \(mol\, \ L^{-1}s^{-1}\) |
| First \((n = 1)\) | \(s^{-1}\) |
| Second \((n = 2)\) | \(mol^{-1}\, \ L s^{-1}\) |
| Third \((n = 3)\) | \(mol^{-2}\, \ L^2 s^{-1}\) |