Select the appropriate option as to convert the following sentence into Direct Speech.
Agnes said that she would go and heat some milk.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) → "I'll go and heat some milk", said Agnes
-
The original sentence is in reported (indirect) speech.
-
"She would go and heat some milk" changes back to "I'll go and heat some milk" in direct speech.
-
Since the reporting verb is said, the correct structure is: "I'll go and heat some milk", said Agnes.
Whether "go" should become "come" in direct speech depends entirely on the speaker’s position and the context of the sentence.
Indirect speech:
Agnes said that she would go and heat some milk.
Now to convert this to direct speech, ask:
-
Is Agnes going away from the listener/speaker to heat the milk?
-
Or is she coming toward the speaker/listener?
Since the original sentence says “go,” it implies movement away from the current location, not toward it.
So when converting it back to direct speech, we preserve that meaning:
“I’ll go and heat some milk,” said Agnes.
Some important Tip
-
Use “go” → when moving away from the speaker/listener.
-
Use “come” → when moving toward the speaker/listener.