Match the amino acid given in List-I with their one letter code given in List-II
|
List-I Name of amino acid |
List-II One letter code |
|
(A) Lysine |
(I) W |
|
(B) Tryptophan |
(II) Q |
|
(C) Tyrosine |
(III) K |
|
(D) Glutamine |
(IV) Y |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → (A)-(III), (B)-(I), (C)-(IV), (D)-(II)
|
List-I Name of amino acid |
List-II One letter code |
|
(A) Lysine |
(III) K |
|
(B) Tryptophan |
(I) W |
|
(C) Tyrosine |
(IV) Y |
|
(D) Glutamine |
(II) Q |
(A) Lysine $\to$ (III) K
Since 'L' was already taken by Leucine, Lysine is assigned K. A common mnemonic is that 'K' is the letter near 'L' in the alphabet.
(B) Tryptophan $\to$ (I) W
Tryptophan has a double-ring structure and is the bulkiest amino acid. It is assigned W, which can be remembered because of the "tw" sound in Tryptophan (Tw-yptophan).
(C) Tyrosine $\to$ (IV) Y
Tyrosine uses its second letter, Y, as its code because 'T' is used for Threonine.
(D) Glutamine $\to$ (II) Q
Glutamine is assigned Q. A helpful way to remember this is the phonetic sound "Q-tamine."