Statement I: Aryl halides cannot rapidly undergo nucleophilic substitution
Statement II: Aryl halides are more soluble in water than alkyl halides.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The answer is 3. Statement I is correct but statement II is false.
Statement I is correct because aryl halides are less reactive towards nucleophilic substitution reactions than alkyl halides. This is because the aromatic ring delocalizes the electron density away from the halogen atom, making it less susceptible to attack by a nucleophile.

Statement II is false because aryl halides are less soluble in water than alkyl halides. This is because the aromatic ring is non-polar, while water is polar. The non-polar aromatic ring does not interact well with the polar water molecules, making aryl halides less soluble in water.
Therefore, statement I is correct but statement II is false.
Here is a table that summarizes the properties of aryl halides and alkyl halides:
|
Property |
Aryl Halides |
Alkyl Halides |
|
Solubility in water |
Less soluble |
More soluble |
|
Ability to undergo nucleophilic substitution |
Slow |
Fast |
|
Reason for difference in solubility |
Aromatic ring is non-polar |
Aromatic ring can form hydrogen bonds with water molecules |
|
Reason for difference in reactivity |
Aromatic ring delocalizes electron density away from halogen atom, making it less susceptible to attack by a nucleophile |
Halogen atom is more electronegative than carbon, making it more susceptible to attack by a nucleophile |