Which of the following statement is correct?
I. When any plane passing through the central axis of the body divides the organism into two identical halves, it is called radial symmetry.
II. Where the body can be divided into identical left and right halves in only one plane, exhibit bilateral symmetry.
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 3
The correct answer is Option (3) -Both I and II
Both statements are correct and describe different types of symmetry found in organisms:
- Statement I describes radial symmetry, where any plane passing through the central axis of the body divides the organism into two identical halves. This type of symmetry is common in organisms like jellyfish and sea anemones, where body parts are arranged around a central point.
- Statement II describes bilateral symmetry, where the body can be divided into identical left and right halves in only one plane. This type of symmetry is typical of most animals, including humans, where the body can be divided along a single plane into two mirror-image halves.
Therefore, the correct answer is Both I and II.