Statement I: KCN reacts with methyl chloride to give methyl isocyanide
Statement II: CN− is an ambidentate nucleophile
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is option 4. statement I is false but statement II is correct.
Let us break down the statements and their details:
Statement I: KCN reacts with methyl chloride to give methyl isocyanide
Reaction Overview:
Potassium Cyanide (KCN): When KCN reacts with methyl chloride (CH₃Cl), the primary product is methyl cyanide (acetonitrile), not methyl isocyanide.
Reaction: The reaction between KCN and CH₃Cl is:
\(\text{KCN} + \text{CH}_3\text{Cl} \rightarrow \text{CH}_3\text{CN} + \text{KCl}\)
Methyl Cyanide (CH₃CN): This is a nitrile where the cyano group (–C≡N) is attached to the methyl group. It is the usual product of this reaction.
Methyl Isocyanide (CH₃NC):
Methyl isocyanide can be formed through a different reaction. Typically, methyl iodide (CH₃I) reacts with sodium cyanide (NaCN) to produce methyl isocyanide:
\(\text{CH}_3\text{I} + \text{NaCN} \rightarrow \text{CH}_3\text{NC} + \text{NaI}\)
The formation of methyl isocyanide from methyl chloride and KCN is not a common reaction under normal conditions.
Statement II: CN⁻ is an ambidentate nucleophile
Ambidentate Nature:
An ambidentate nucleophile is a nucleophile that can form bonds with different atoms in a molecule. In the case of CN⁻, it can act as a nucleophile through: The carbon in the cyano group (–C≡N) can attack an electrophile. The nitrogen in the cyano group can also act as a nucleophile. In certain reactions, CN⁻ can bind to metal centers through either the carbon or nitrogen. This dual possibility of binding through different atoms makes it an ambidentate nucleophile.
Summary
Statement I is incorrect because the reaction of KCN with methyl chloride produces methyl cyanide (acetonitrile), not methyl isocyanide. Statement II is correct because CN⁻ is an ambidentate nucleophile and can coordinate through either the carbon or nitrogen atom.
Thus, the correct evaluation is: Statement I is false but Statement II is correct..