Match the statement of set of orbitals given in List-I with orbitals and energy separation given in List-II
|
List-I Statements |
List-II Orbitals and energy separation |
|
(A) $t_{2g}$ set of orbitals in octahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(I) ${d_x}^2-y^2, {d_z}^2$ and $3/5\,Δ_t$ |
|
(B) $e_g$ set of orbitals in octahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(II) $d_{xy},y_{xz}, d_{yz}$ and $2/5\,Δ_t$ |
|
(C) $t_2$ set of orbitals in tetrahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(III) ${d_x}^2-y^2, {d_z}^2$ and $3/5\,Δ_0$ |
|
(D) $e$ set of orbitals in tetrahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(IV) $d_{xy},y_{xz}, d_{yz}$ and $2/5\,Δ_0$ |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is Option (2) → (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(II), (D)-(I)
|
List-I Statements |
List-II Orbitals and energy separation |
|
(A) $t_{2g}$ set of orbitals in octahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(IV) $d_{xy},y_{xz}, d_{yz}$ and $2/5\,Δ_0$ |
|
(B) $e_g$ set of orbitals in octahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(III) ${d_x}^2-y^2, {d_z}^2$ and $3/5\,Δ_0$ |
|
(C) $t_2$ set of orbitals in tetrahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(II) $d_{xy},y_{xz}, d_{yz}$ and $2/5\,Δ_t$ |
|
(D) $e$ set of orbitals in tetrahedral crystal field and energy separation from barycentre |
(I) ${d_x}^2-y^2, {d_z}^2$ and $3/5\,Δ_t$ |
(A) $t_{2g}$ set in octahedral crystal field
The $t_{2g}$ orbitals are:
- $d_{xy}, d_{yz}, d_{zx}$
In an octahedral field, these lie below the barycentre by $2/5 \Delta_o$.
So it matches with
(IV) $d_{xy}, d_{yz}, d_{zx}$ and $2/5 \Delta_o$
(B) $e_g$ set in octahedral crystal field
The $e_g$ orbitals are:
- $d_{x^2-y^2}, d_{z^2}$
These lie above the barycentre by $3/5 \Delta_o$.
So it matches with
(III) $d_{x^2-y^2}, d_{z^2}$ and $3/5 \Delta_o$
(C) $t_2$ set in tetrahedral crystal field
The $t_2$ orbitals are:
- $d_{xy}, d_{yz}, d_{zx}$
These lie above the barycentre by $2/5 \, \Delta_t$.
So it matches with
(II) $d_{xy}, d_{yz}, d_{zx}$ and $2/5 \, \Delta_t$
(D) $e$ set in tetrahedral crystal field
The $e$ orbitals are:
- $d_{x^2-y^2}, d_{z^2}$
These lie below the barycentre by $3/5 \, \Delta_t$.
So it matches with
(I) $d_{x^2-y^2}, d_{z^2}$ and $3/5 \, \Delta_t$