Read the poem and answer the question below
I lost my talk
The talk you took away.
When I was a little girl
At Shubenacadie school.
You snatched it away:
I speak like you
I think like you
I create like you
The scrambled ballad, about my word.
Two ways I talk
Both ways I say,
Your way is more powerful.
So gently I offer my hand and ask,
Let me find my talk
So I can teach you about me
Which poetic device is used in the following line?
"....The scrambled ballad, about my word"
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is OPTION 1 - METAPHOR
The poetic device used in the line "The scrambled ballad, about my word" is metaphor.
In this line, "scrambled ballad" metaphorically represents the speaker's mixed or confused way of expressing themselves, suggesting that their words and thoughts have been affected by the loss of their original language or cultural expression. The phrase does not use "like" or "as" (which would indicate a simile), and it does not reference another work or historical figure (which would be an allusion). Personification would involve giving human traits to non-human entities, which is not applicable here.