Match List - I with List - II.
|
List - I |
List - II |
|
(A) $tan^{-1}\sqrt{3}-sec^{-1}(-2)$ |
(I) $\frac{3π}{4}$ |
|
(B) $cot^{-1}(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})$ |
(II) $-\frac{π}{3}$ |
|
(C) $cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$ |
(III) $\frac{π}{2}$ |
|
(D) $cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})+ sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})$ |
(IV) $\frac{2π}{3}$ |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below :
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 4
The correct answer is Option 4: (A) - (II), (B) - (IV), (C) - (I), (D) - (III)
(A) $tan^{-1}\sqrt{3}-sec^{-1}(-2)$
Let $tan^{-1}\sqrt{3}=x$ i.e.
$tanx=\sqrt{3}⇒tan\frac{\pi}{3}$
$∴x=\frac{\pi}{3}∈[-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}]$
Now, let $sec^{-1}(-2) = y$ that is sec y = -2
$∴y=-sec\frac{\pi}{3}$ i.e.
$secy=sec(\pi-\frac{\pi}{3})=sec\frac{2\pi}{3}$
Thus, $y = \frac{2\pi}{3}∈(0,π)-(\frac{π}{2})$
Now consider $tan^{-1}\sqrt{3}-sec^{-1}(-2)$ as:
$tan^{-1}\sqrt{3}-sec^{-1}(-2)=x-y=\frac{\pi}{3}-\frac{2\pi}{3}=\frac{-\pi}{3}$
(B) $cot^{-1}(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})$
Let $y=cot^{-1}(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})=coty=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}$
$cot y = cot(π-\frac{π}{3})$
we know that range of principal value of $cot^{-1}x$ is (0, π)
$y=π-\frac{π}{3}⇒\frac{2π}{3}$
(C) $cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$
Let $y = cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$
$y =π- cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$ $∴cos^{-1}(-x)=π- cos^{-1}x$
Since $cos\frac{π}{4}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$
$\frac{π}{4}=cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$
$y =π- cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$
$y=π-\frac{π}{4}⇒\frac{3π}{4}$
Range of cos-1 is [0, π]
Principal value is $\frac{3π}{4}$
(D) $cos^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})+ sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})$
$cos^{-1}\frac{1}{2}+sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})$
$=\frac{π}{3}+\frac{π}{6}=\frac{2π+π}{6}=\frac{3π}{6}=\frac{π}{2}$
So, (A) - (II), (B) - (IV), (C) - (I), (D) - (III)
Option 4 is correct.