Match the Idioms in List - I with with their meanings in List - II.
|
List - I |
List - II |
||
|
Idioms |
Meanings |
||
|
(A) |
By hook or by crook |
(I) |
just at the right moment |
|
(B) |
In the nick of time |
(II) |
hesitating to choose a side |
|
(C) |
Sitting on the fence |
(III) |
by fair means or foul |
|
(D) |
An axe to grind |
(IV) |
a personal interest to serve |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below :
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
(A) By hook or by crook - (III) by fair means or foul
- "By hook or by crook" means by any means necessary, whether they are fair or unfair. The phrase suggests a willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve a goal.
(B) In the nick of time - (I) just at the right moment
- "In the nick of time" means just in time or at the last possible moment. It implies that something happened or was completed at a critical or crucial moment.
(C) Sitting on the fence - (II) hesitating to choose a side
- "Sitting on the fence" means being undecided or neutral in a situation where a decision or choice is required. It describes someone who is hesitant to take a clear position.
(D) An axe to grind - (IV) a personal interest to serve
- "An axe to grind" means having a hidden personal agenda or a self-serving motive. It suggests that someone has a specific, often selfish, reason for being involved in a particular situation.
Therefore, the pairs are appropriately matched:
Option 3: (A)-(III), (B)-(I), (C)-(II), (D)-(IV)