Match List I with List II.
|
List I Unit Cell |
List II No. of atoms per unit cell |
| (A) Simple | (I) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 2 |
| (B) Face centered | (II) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 1 x 1 + 0 |
| (C) Body centered | (III) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 6 |
| (D) End face centered | (IV) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + 0 |
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 2
The correct answer is option 2. (A)-(IV), (B)-(III), (C)-(II), (D)-(I).
|
List I Unit Cell |
List II No. of atoms per unit cell |
| (A) Simple | (IV) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + 0 |
| (B) Face centered | (III) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 6 |
| (C) Body centered | (II) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 1 x 1 + 0 |
| (D) End face centered | (I) \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 + 0 + \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 2 |
| Unit Cell | Number of atoms | Total number of atoms per unit cell | ||
| At corners | At body center | On faces | ||
| 1. Simple | \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 = 1 | zero | zero | 1 + 0 + 0 = 1 |
| 2. Face centered | \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 = 1 | zero | \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 6 = 3 | 1 + 0 + 3 = 4 |
| 3. Body centered | \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 = 1 | 1 | zero | 1 + 1 + 0 = 2 |
| 4. End face centered | \(\frac{1}{8}\) x 8 = 1 | zero | \(\frac{1}{2}\) x 2 = 1 | 1 + 0 + 1 = 2 |