Match List -I with List-II
|
List-I Name of Compound |
List-II Application |
|
(A) Neutral Ferric Chloride |
(I) Anaesthetic |
|
(B) Methanol |
(II) Detection of Phenolic group |
|
(C) Diethylether |
(III) Wood Spirit |
|
(D) Acetylsalicylic acid |
(IV) Analgesic |
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
Answer & explanation
Correct answer: option 1
The correct answer is Option (1) → (A)-(II), (B)-(III), (C)-(I), (D)-(IV)
|
List-I Name of Compound |
List-II Application |
|
(A) Neutral Ferric Chloride |
(II) Detection of Phenolic group |
|
(B) Methanol |
(III) Wood Spirit |
|
(C) Diethylether |
(I) Anaesthetic |
|
(D) Acetylsalicylic acid |
(IV) Analgesic |
(A) Neutral Ferric Chloride — (II) Detection of Phenolic group
Neutral ferric chloride ($FeCl_3$) is the standard reagent used to test for the presence of phenols. When added to a compound containing a phenolic $-OH$ group, it forms a characteristic violet, blue, or green colored complex.
(B) Methanol — (III) Wood Spirit
Methanol ($CH_3OH$) is historically known as wood spirit or wood alcohol because it was originally produced by the destructive distillation of wood.
(C) Diethylether — (I) Anaesthetic
Diethylether ($C_2H_5OC_2H_5$) was one of the first volatile liquids used as a general anaesthetic in surgery during the 19th century, though it has largely been replaced by safer alternatives today.
(D) Acetylsalicylic acid — (IV) Analgesic
Acetylsalicylic acid is the chemical name for Aspirin. It is widely used as an analgesic (pain reliever), antipyretic (fever reducer), and anti-inflammatory medication.